Cosmetic Ear Opeartion
Otoplasty is an idea that everyone who feels an aesthetic problem in his ear has, what are the reasons that might lead a person to believe that he needs ear plastic surgery? Is ear surgery primarily an aesthetic process, or is it a treatment method? Can otoplasty without surgery? What are the different methods available for ear beautification? Can prominent ear be treated without surgery?
Find out with us all the information you need about ear plastic surgery.
What is otoplasty?
Otoplasty is a process of modifying the shape of the outer ear pinna, and this operation is done to modify the location, shape or size of the ear pinna. The operation aims primarily to improve the proportion between the shape and size of the face and the ear, and it is believed that the main goal is to improve self-esteem and personal satisfaction with the general image of the patient.
This operation may be done in childhood, but it is preferable to wait until after puberty to perform it so that the patient does not have to repeat another operation after the final shape of the face is stabilized at puberty. Sometimes this process is done after accidents or injuries in which deformations occur in the shape of the ear, and the operation is then for the purpose of remedial the ear to its previous shape, or it may be used to modify the shape of the ear in accordance with the expectations of the patient in addition to treating the deformity resulting from the accident or injury .
Unfortunately, the results of otoplasty without surgery are still very limited, and so far it is not possible to treat the prominent ear. without surgery, and the solutions for otoplasty without surgical intervention depend only on concealing its prominence using accessories or adhesive tapes.
Who are the potential candidates for otoplasty?
This surgery can be performed on pediatric patients, but it is required that they meet some conditions in order for the surgery to take place safely and the recovery period to pass well. Among the most important of these conditions are the following:
- The child is five years old or older (so that the growth of the cartilage in the ear has completed and stabilized).
- The child is cooperative and can follow instructions well.
- The child is in good health and does not suffer from any chronic diseases or active ear infections.
- That the child be able to communicate well so that he can share his feelings and desires with his family or with the doctor.
- The child does not object to the surgery and does not show his rejection of it.
Other than this, otoplasty can be performed on adolescent and adult patients provided that they have the following qualities:
- To have realistic goals and expectations that can be achieved through surgery.
- That the patient is in good health and does not suffer from any chronic diseases that could affect the recovery from the operation.
- The patient should be a non-smoker and non-alcoholic, or be able to avoid smoking and alcohol during the recovery period from the surgery.
- He should not suffer from any active infection, whether in the ear or otherwise.
The most important thing is that the ear surgery is a very personal process, so if you decide to perform it, this should be to satisfy yourself in the first place and not to fulfill the desires of some of those around you or to follow people’s point of view about you, because the process often will not achieve the desired results for you if not for you. A point of view and a factual opinion of your case in the first place.